Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Communicating

After writing my last entry which I had hoped would posit the question, "to what extent do I understand the foundational ideas of the things that are important to me?" I realized that despite my intention, the power of the idea depends on language. In this case, a failure to construct clear and graceful language made the writing confusing.

I wonder, have I plunged into the trap of jargon? Have I let predetermined phrases occupy my imagination? After all, a piece of writing that is to be shared has limited value if it is unintelligible. And I am delusional if I think that my audience is better equipped to understand my writing if my own mother, who has nourished me my whole life, who embodies one of my foundational ideas herself, cannot follow the writing.

So, if what I am talking about is truly important (and I believe that it is) it must be communicated in a common language, a "language of care."

2 comments:

  1. OK, it is not that you have to "dumb down " your eloquent verbiage, but on this journey of sharing your values ,there are times you might want to state the obvious , I do love your style and your use of the language.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete